Best Shipping Software for Ecommerce
In the modern world of e-commerce, shipping has become a critical component of success. With customers expecting fast and reliable delivery of their orders, having the right shipping software is essential for any online business that wants to remain competitive.
Shipping software can help automate processes like order fulfillment and tracking, which enables you to save time and money. This blog post will explore some of the best shipping software solutions available for e-commerce businesses today.
We’ll look at features such as cost-effectiveness, scalability, automation capabilities, integrations with other platforms, customer service support, and more so that you can choose the best solution for your business needs. So let’s get started!
What is E-commerce Shipping?
E-commerce shipping is transporting goods from a seller to a customer through an online platform. It requires careful coordination of multiple complex logistics systems, such as order processing, inventory management, and transportation networks. E-commerce shipping also involves ensuring products are securely packaged and delivered on time.
When it comes to eCommerce shipping, several factors must be taken into consideration. The most crucial factor is ensuring that the items arrive at the destination promptly and in good condition. This means that sellers need to choose the correct shipping service depending on the size and weight of their items, as well as the geographic location of their customers.
Also, sellers must choose cost-effective shipping options to keep prices competitive while providing excellent customer service.
What Does Shipping Software Do?
E-commerce shipping software helps businesses manage their shipments and deliveries.
- It allows them to keep track of all the products they are shipping, including which items are being shipped and when, as well as where the things need to be delivered.
- Shipping software can also provide updates on the status of shipments, so businesses always know where their products are located every step of the way.
- Shipping software can also help businesses save money by optimizing route planning and coordinating deliveries most efficiently.
- This helps to reduce fuel costs and time spent driving by ensuring routes are optimized based on delivery locations.
- Another cost-saving feature is that some shipping software programs will provide discounts or coupons to customers to encourage repeat business.
Understanding the Shipping Process
Step 1: Pack and Label Items
First, goods must be adequately packaged and labeled to transport without damage or contamination safely. This means selecting appropriate packaging materials for the type of goods being shipped and ensuring that all shipping labels are clear and accurate.
Step 2: Pick a Carrier
Next, a carrier must be chosen to transport the goods. To do this, businesses must consider factors such as cost, speed of delivery, the convenience of pick-up/drop-off points, and insurance coverage, to name a few. Selecting an appropriate carrier for each job will depend on individual needs but should always involve careful research before making final decisions.
Step 3: Finish the Paperwork
Once a carrier has been selected, proper documentation must be created for carriers to accept the shipment. This includes packing lists with itemized contents and invoices showing payment information. Ensuring all documents are complete and accurate will help avoid delays in transit time due to incomplete paperwork or other mistakes.
Step 4: Track the Shipments
Most carriers also require shipments to be tracked through their system for them to take responsibility for any mishaps along the way. Tracking techniques allow companies to stay updated on their packages’ whereabouts and typically come with detailed reports showing exactly where shipments have been along their journey.
Step 5: Deliver the Goods
Finally, when delivering goods, businesses need a plan to ensure safe delivery, including how items will get unloaded at the drop-off location or signed off by the receiver if necessary. What protocols must be followed if something goes wrong during transit, such as taking pictures of damaged boxes?
How Does Dropshipping Work on Amazon?
The process begins when a customer orders an item from your business’s Amazon storefront. The order will then be sent to the dropshipper (such as AliExpress or Oberlo), who will package and ship the product directly to your customer. This means you don’t have to worry about managing inventory, creating packaging materials, or dealing with shipping costs.
The amount of money you make from selling through Amazon depends on your markup from the wholesale price and how much you charge for shipping. Generally speaking, most businesses opt for free shipping to stay competitive. However, this approach does increase your overhead expenses but can also drive more sales as customers are more likely to purchase if shipping is included in the price tag.
How Does Dropshipping Work on Shopify?
- First, creating a Shopify account, set up an online store and select products from one or more of the many dropshipping suppliers available.
- You then list these products in your store, setting pricing as you see fit. Customers who make purchases from your store provide payment info and shipping details.
- You collect their payment information, contact the supplier, pay for the order (including any extra fees), and place the order on your customer’s behalf–all without ever taking possession of the item yourself.
- Finally, the supplier ships the product directly to your customer’s address as though it were coming straight from you.
How to Choose the Best E-commerce Shipping Platforms
First, you should look at the cost of using a particular platform. Many platforms offer discounts based on volume or other criteria. Some media may be more affordable, depending on your specific needs. You should also consider any hidden costs, such as packaging supplies or insurance, that may be required when using particular services.
The speed of delivery is another important consideration when choosing an e-commerce shipping platform. Some services provide guaranteed delivery times, while others are less reliable and can take longer to get orders to their destinations. If quick delivery times are essential for your business, you should research the available options carefully before deciding.
Another factor to consider is tracking capabilities. Most major shipping providers offer robust tracking systems to see where orders are in transit and ensure they will reach their destination on time. Tracking numbers should also be provided to customers, so they know where their order is at all times until it arrives safely at its destination.
Finally, excellent customer service is one of the most critical aspects of any e-commerce shipping platform.
ShipStation is a powerful, easy-to-use cloud-based platform for e-commerce shipping. It enables users to ship orders from over 220 countries and territories with over 100 carriers, including USPS, UPS, DHL, Canada Post, Australia Post, Royal Mail, and many more.
- Makes shipping faster and easier than ever before.
- Offers extensive features that allow users to manage their shipments quickly
- Customize order statuses, apply rules based on customer criteria such as the package’s weight or value, and create custom labels.
- Includes a robust analytics engine that gives users real-time insight into their shipping performance.
- Integrates with popular e-commerce platforms such as Shopify, WooCommerce, and Magento so users can manage orders directly within their online store without switching between multiple services.
One of the reasons why Shippo is so well-loved by e-commerce customers is that it simplifies the process of shipping goods from A to B.
- Automates many mundane tasks associated with traditional postal service, including entering customer information and address details, managing inventory levels, pulling shipment status updates, and even printing labels for easy scanning at delivery.
- Save time and energy when sending out orders – allowing you to focus on other aspects of your business.
- Offers a range of additional services such as discounted shipping rates from carriers like DHL Express and USPS, insurance coverage for lost or damaged parcels, international tracking capabilities through its partner carriers, and API integrations
- Makes it incredibly easy for any e-commerce business to set up its customized shipping processes without manually managing them each time an order is placed.
Easyship also offers a variety of other benefits, such as advanced analytics, fraud prevention services, and detailed tracking capabilities.
- Enables businesses to gain insights into their performance while monitoring potential risks associated with online transactions.
- Allows users to access the latest international regulations to remain compliant with local laws and customs regulations.
- More affordability compared to traditional shipping providers.
- Allows users to choose flexible plans that fit their budget.
One of the most beneficial features that Essential Hub offers is its real-time shipment tracking capabilities.
- Customers can easily track their orders in real-time to know precisely when they will arrive at their doorstep.
- Useful for businesses that ship items internationally or across multiple states, as it eliminates the guesswork.
- Provides valuable insights into customer behavior
- Offers invaluable for businesses to understand their target audience better and make informed decisions regarding product development and marketing strategies.
- Seamless integration with popular shipping carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL, and USPS.
- Allows businesses to compare rates between pages to find the most cost-effective option.
- Helps customers to select the carrier of their choice during checkout to have more control over how their packages are shipped out.
ShipEngine’s software is designed with scalability in mind so businesses can scale up as needed.
- Companies have the flexibility to add users or functionality as their E-commerce business grows.
- The multi-carrier shipping software also has powerful integrations that allow it to be used with existing e-commerce platforms like Shopify, WooCommerce, Amazon Marketplace, eBay, Magento, and many others.
- This will enable businesses to quickly sync orders from multiple sources into ShipEngine to generate labels without manually transferring data between systems.
- Businesses also benefit from advanced automation tools that allow them to set rules for how orders should be routed and shipped.
- ‘This helps ensure each package is sent using the most efficient method possible while still considering customers’ delivery timelines.
ShipWorks is an all-in-one solution for managing small to large-scale e-commerce shipping operations.
- Integrates with popular shopping carts, marketplaces, and carriers to streamline the entire order lifecycle from purchase to delivery so merchants can focus on growing their businesses.
- The advanced automation capabilities give merchants real-time visibility into their inventory, allowing them to manage stock levels and forecast demand better.
- The user interface is designed to be intuitive and easy to use so even novice users can quickly become proficient in ShipWorks’ complex functions.
- Allows merchants to configure preferences, generate labels and perform batch actions like assigning tracking numbers automatically with just a few clicks of the mouse.
- Its powerful search functionality makes finding orders fast and efficient, while detailed reporting tools help them gain insight into their shipping performance over time.
Stamps make it simple to start with its user-friendly interface and easy integration with popular E-commerce platforms like Shopify, BigCommerce, and Magento.
- Provides helpful support documents and videos to familiarize yourself with the platform quickly and get the most out of your experience.
- Plus, the interface has been designed for multi-channel sellers so you can easily manage orders from multiple stores in one place–saving you time and effort spent coordinating with different vendor services.
- You have access to USPS shipping discounts as well as other USPS services such as Priority Mail Express International (PMEI), First Class Package International Service (FCPIS), Electronic Verification System (EVS), and more!
- You also have access to flexible payment options such as credit cards, PayPal, or bank accounts–allowing you to avoid paying high fees associated with using third-party services like PayPal or Stripe for international transactions.
- Further, still, Stamps has seamless integration with US Customs Forms, which makes it fast & easy for international shipments!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best shipping method for e-commerce?
The best shipping method for e-commerce depends on the business’s specific needs. Generally, it is wise to consider a combination of different delivery methods when fulfilling orders. Companies may want to take advantage of low- cost ground shipping for more oversized items and use expedited delivery for smaller, more time-sensitive items.
Which software is used in shipping?
One example is a software package called ShipERP, designed to streamline and standardize the operational processes involved in freight forwarding and cargo shipping. It provides automated invoice processing, route optimization, and fuel cost management.
What is the best platform for e-commerce?
The best platform for e-commerce depends on a business’s specific needs, as a variety of options are available to meet different requirements. For instance, companies looking for an all-in-one solution may find Shopify or BigCommerce ideal. They provide easy templates that can be quickly customized and offer integrated payment processing.
Which shipping software is the cheapest?
When it comes to finding the cheapest shipping software, a few options stand out. One of the most affordable solutions is Shiparoo. It is incredibly low- cost and offers an array of features to help businesses navigate the complex world of online shipping.
Shipping software can be an excellent asset for your e-commerce business. It helps streamline and automate the process of fulfilling orders, helping you save time, money, and effort in delivering products to customers quickly and efficiently.